|Jubilee Strawberry and Cream Pie|
|To Commemorate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee |
I felt that I had to do something a bit special for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebrations. After a bit of thought I decided to put my own spin on the traditional British cream tea - scones with jam and cream.
Pastry:I decided to make 'pastry' which is a bit more like a scone mix - so that the pie reflects the cream tea theme a bit more.
125g of self raising flour
A pinch of salt
55g of butter
25g of caster sugar
30-45ml of milk
- Put the flour and salt in a large bowl
- Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and the milk until it resembles a dough that can be rolled out.
- Prepare oven dish/pan
- Roll out the dough to fit the pan.
- Roll out the left over dough and cut six long strips.
- Make the rim of the pie by making two plaits using three of the strips for each.
- Paint the pie with milk using a pastry brush - the milk acts like a glue to help attach the plaits
- Paint the plaits with milk
- (If you want to make a little crown shape out of pastry to cover the plaits join at the top like me you can... but it may end up looking more like a bobble hat...)
Place pie crust in the oven
Strawberry or Raspberry Jam (Jelly)
200g of cream cheese
100g of caster sugar
A few drops of vanilla essence
- When cool turn the pastry out of the pan
- Spread a layer of jam (jelly) over the base of the pastry
- Now mix the cream cheese, caster sugar and the vanilla essence together.
- Spread a thick layer of the cream cheese topping over the layer of jam
- Decorate with a layer of fresh strawberries.
- Place in the fridge to cool.
- Serve and enjoy the jubilee celebrations!
A few pictures from our walk around the park today where we saw lots of birds and jubilee celebration bunting: