|Chocolate Lime Cake|
I have decide to try and make a retro sweet themed cake or pudding each week so here is my first attempt...
Chocolate limes are one of my favourite retro sweets so I thought I would start with them as the theme for a cake- yummy!
|Retro Sweet of the Week- Chocolate Limes|
At first, I thought of making a chocolate lime cheesecake - but I didn't have any cream cheese in the fridge and I was too lazy to go to the shops... perhaps next time (I supose it is ok to have two cakes on the same theme).
3/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
100ml boiling water
100ml cold water
300g caster sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
1 teaspoon of orange essence
180ml light olive oil
200g self raising flour
300ml pot of fresh whipping cream
Cadbury flake bar
1/2 a lime
What to do:
- Pre-heat oven to 170 degree's C
- Mix the cocoa and bicarbonate of soda with the boiling water - once dissolved add the cold water and the juce of the lime; leave to one side
- Prepare tins
- Beat sugar and eggs together until light and creamy.
- Add vanilla and orange essence and continue beating
- Add the flour
- Add the zest of 1/2 a lime
- Add the cocoa/lime solution - beat until consistency of double cream
- Pour batter into tins
- Bake for 25-30 mins
- When cool decorate put a layer of lemon curd and freshly whipped cream in the middle
- Decorate the top with the rest of the freshly whipped cream, slices of lime and some of the crumbled flake bar!
|The Finished Chocolate Lime Cake|