Thursday 17 May 2012

Knitting for Charity



I love knitting and always seem to have at least one project on the go. I am currently working on what I call my "forever blanket" or my "heirloom blanket". It is called this because it is taking so long that it seems to be taking forever! This is because it is made from chunky wool and is eventually going to be large enough to cover a double bed. I have designed a rather complicated pattern for it as well; it is made up of many turns and cables and vines and has a border of leaves. Anyway, I already love it!

Normally, I find that I making yet another baby blanket... I have got to that point in life when my friends (most of them anyway) are now married and have begun to have families. It seems that there is another birth announcement or scan picture to see every couple of weeks! Here I am still a student - I have not really even started on those big life things yet...

Anyway, a while ago I decided to create an entry for a charity fashion show that was being held to raise money for two charities: Look Good... Feel Better and CRY.

I chose to knit a dress as my entry and so I look on Ravelry for some ideas. I decided to modify a pattern called Global Warming by Suvi Simola which is for a short sleeved jumper and made it into a jumper-dress.



Knitting in the round... watching it grow.


It was a really simple knit as it was knitted up in the round from the bottom. It was really fun watching it grow. The yarn I chose is called Patons Australia Smoothie DK and I loved the teal-blue colour. I also made a matching beret in the same wool.

I am not really the modelling type so Holly was the brave model who walked it down the catwalk for all to see. Although, I really wish she had taken my advice and warn a slip or something underneath it as it was a wee bit see-through. Oooops! 



Holly - My lovely model!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...